Our Tips For Keeping Your Teeth Healthy During The Coronavirus Outbreak

Due to the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak, many dentists are still only seeing patients for emergency procedures, and are not offering routine dental care. So what should you do to make sure you keep your teeth healthy until you see the dentist, and fight back against common issues like cavities and gum disease? Here are a few simple steps to follow from Oak Creek Dental Care

1. Brush Your Teeth Twice A Day (At A Minimum) 

It’s best to brush once after breakfast, and once after your last meal of the day, before you go to bed. Make sure you brush for at least two minutes, and clean the front, top, and rear surfaces of your teeth. Spend at least 30 seconds on each quadrant of your mouth. In addition, make sure you’re using a fluoridated toothpaste. Fluoride is one of the most powerful substances available when it comes to fighting tooth decay. 

If you would like to do more to keep your smile healthy, you can brush your teeth three times a day. Brush once after breakfast, once after lunch, and once before bed to maximize the effectiveness of your oral care routine.

2. Floss Once Per Day For A More Thorough Clean

Because your toothbrush can’t get into the little gaps and crevices between your teeth, brushing alone cleans only about 60% of the surfaces of your teeth. To clean the remaining 40%, you’ll need to floss.

We recommend flossing at least once per day using proper technique. This will remove plaque, food particles, and other debris from between your teeth, and help you fight back against both gum disease and tooth decay.

To enhance the effects of flossing, you can also rinse with mouthwash afterward. Antiseptic mouthwash will kill bacteria and freshen your breath, and rinsing out your mouth will help remove food particles that were loosened by flossing. 

3. Eat Healthy Foods & Avoid Frequent Snacking 

Foods that are good for your body are also good for your teeth. So stay healthy by avoiding overly-processed foods and treats like cookies, candy, potato chips, and other foods that are very high in sugar and simple starch. Instead, eat a healthy diet with plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits, whole grains, and lean meats.

Don’t snack too much, either. If you snack regularly, food particles will build up on your teeth faster than they can be rinsed away by your saliva. This increases your risk of tooth decay and gum disease. Have a few large meals each day, and only 1-2 snacks.

4. Cut Back On Sugary Beverages 

If you drink a lot of sugary beverages soda, cocktails, or even sweetened tea or coffee, you may have a higher risk of tooth decay. We recommend cutting back on these drinks when possible. 

Drink more tap water, cut back on alcoholic drinks, consider drinking sugar-free sparkling water instead of soda, reduce the amount of sweetener you use in your tea and coffee. 

Follow These Tips For A Healthier Mouth During The Coronavirus Outbreak!

Once the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak begins to fade, it will be much easier to see a dentist in Oak Creek like Dr. Ehsan Saleki. But until then, these tips are sure to help you keep your mouth healthy. 

Need preventive dentistry in Oak Creek, Franklin, or South Milwaukee? Wondering if Oak Creek Dental Care can see you for an appointment? Contact us online or give us a call at (414) 762-9010 for a status update, and to see when you can schedule a consultation with Dr. Ehsan Saleki.

ready to schedule an appointment? contact us today!

contact us